Discussion topic: Sky stream remote - no source button

This message was authored by DavyBee This message was authored by: DavyBee

Sky stream remote - no source button

We switched to Sky Stream a few weeks back but discovered there is no source button on the new remote. I'm now unable to switch sources between sky, firestick or any other hdmi connection. (Why on earth Sky decided to remove this is beyond me)

I'm unable to use the original tv remote (puppy ate it) so need to buy a replacement. I was thinking about getting a universal remote to control tv, sky, soundbar and firestick. I've just discovered the firestick is a bluetooth remote which makes things more complicated.

Does anyone have a decent solution for this problem? Could anyone recommend a decent multi device remote control? Is the sky stream remote infra-red or bluetooth?

Regards and TIA

Best Answers
This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1 Answer

Re: Sky stream remote - no source button

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@DavyBee The input control is normally controlled from your TV but  I note your remote has been chewed by your puppy which makes it a little more problematic.

There should be a setting on your TV somewhere named something like HDMI CEC which you need to enable.  I have a Samsung and this setting is in the External Device Manager but different makes of TV will have their own menu structure.

Also on your Stream puck go to Settings > Startup & Standby menu and make sure HDMI control is turned on.

Doing the above should result in the TV changing input automatically when you select your Stream Puck or firestick.

You could of course just order a replacement TV remote from Amazon.  Many years ago our remote went missing and we found it half buried in the garden by the dog 🤣 (not funny at the time though).

Good luck.

------------------------------------------
If my post has solved your issue please mark as an "Answer"
If it has helped please give it a "Like"

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1 Answer

@DavyBee The input control is normally controlled from your TV but  I note your remote has been chewed by your puppy which makes it a little more problematic.

There should be a setting on your TV somewhere named something like HDMI CEC which you need to enable.  I have a Samsung and this setting is in the External Device Manager but different makes of TV will have their own menu structure.

Also on your Stream puck go to Settings > Startup & Standby menu and make sure HDMI control is turned on.

Doing the above should result in the TV changing input automatically when you select your Stream Puck or firestick.

You could of course just order a replacement TV remote from Amazon.  Many years ago our remote went missing and we found it half buried in the garden by the dog 🤣 (not funny at the time though).

Good luck.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@DavyBee I use a Logitech Harmony remote to control my system but unfortunately Logitech have discontinued the range. The Sky Stream remote uses both infra red and bluetooth. Voice input requires the remote to be paired over bluetooth and the TV and power controls are always infra red. However apart from voice input the puck can be controlled by a learning IR remote if you can find one. Few of the pre-programmed remotes carry the clodes though so you have to teach the remote. Sky Q remotes will control most but not all functions if you have one of those.

It is rare that people need to switch inputs as modern TVs should support HDMI CEC control where  bringing a device out od standby should power up and switch the input on the TV automatically using a signal over the HDMI cable. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

@DavyBee have you disable HDMI-CEC .... selecting a device using the device's remote should switch input?

Exiled in HH
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@DavyBee wrote:

(Why on earth Sky decided to remove this is beyond me)

Probably because source selection using previous Sky remote models was proving to be increasingly unreliable with various makes of television set, but it's Sky which has to pay for call centre staff to listen to complaints even when the television manufacturers are at fault.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

The new streaming remotes are more akin to the type of remotes you get with other streaming devices, e.g Amazon Fire or Roku which makes sense for a streaming platform, rather than being based on the older Sky TV remotes.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

What's interesting is that the Xumo Stream Box in the USA (which is essentially a re-badged Stream puck, running a version of Entertainment OS) has an input selection button on the remote...

xumoremote.jpg

This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

Aren't those voice commands and Live TV means Live Streaming channels?

Exiled in HH
This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@Exiled-in-HH wrote:

Yes, but if you look at the button top right, it's an input selection button instead of the four coloured dots on the UK Stream puck remote. 

The Xumo boxes are second generation boxes, does that button activate the DTT tuner as found on Sky Italy first generation boxes... Is it a HDMI port selection button?

Exiled in HH
This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

@Padam_Padam wrote:

@Exiled-in-HH wrote:

Yes, but if you look at the button top right, it's an input selection button instead of the four coloured dots on the UK Stream puck remote. 

I'm guessing the "red button" tpye services don't exist in the US, so perhaps it was easier to just replace the input button for that.

NOT a Sky Employee

@MarkGoldsmith wrote:

@Padam_Padam wrote:

@Exiled-in-HH wrote:

I'm guessing the "red button" tpye services don't exist in the US, so perhaps it was easier to just replace the input button for that.

Seems to be the case. Presumably when the remote is paired to a TV it also gets the HDMI input source selection command as well as power and volume. 

In Australia they've managed to squeeze a row of three app selection buttons onto the remote for the Hubbl hub, which is their just-launched version of the Stream puck. Still no hardware upgrades though.  

hubbl.jpg

@Padam_Padam wrote:

@MarkGoldsmith wrote:

@Padam_Padam wrote:

@Exiled-in-HH wrote:

Seems to be the case. Presumably when the remote is paired to a TV it also gets the HDMI input source selection command as well as power and volume. 

In Australia they've managed to squeeze a row of three app selection buttons onto the remote for the Hubbl hub, which is their just-launched version of the Stream puck. Still no hardware upgrades though.  

hubbl.jpg

That remote must be slightly longer in order to fit that extra row of buttons (unless all the buttons are smaller 😀).

A row of app buttons would certainly be a nice addition.

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1

@MarkGoldsmith Yes some shortcut buttons would be nice.  Both my TV and Firestick remotes have a selection of shortcuts.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@MarkGoldsmith wrote:
That remote must be slightly longer in order to fit that extra row of buttons 

Presumably the companies who choose to purchase button space are effectively paying for the additional manufacturing cost.

Eventually we'll end up with someone complaining here that they are using that remote in the UK but the app doesn't work...

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion