Discussion topic: Price hike April 2024

This message was authored by Mr+Michael+P This message was authored by: Mr+Michael+P

Re: My Package going up £8.50 mid contract is that about average?

Yes you are right I just personally don't think it's good value for a premium product to have ads in on demand and that is why I struggle with this increase. Other than discovery+ I can't think of any other major stream service that does not offer an ad free on demand for a premium price from Disney+, Prime Video, ITVX, Channel4+, Netflix, Paramount+ and strangely NowTV both cheaper and ad free with Boost so kinda mad at these increased prices to be forced ads within on demand even with the poorly implemented skip ads which is slow and poor to control exactly. 

Also weird how with the included Paramount+ you get ad free movies and TV shows. 

I think I would forgo some of these so called freebies like included Paramount Plus and free cinema tickets for a ad free on demand library. 

The only thing keeping me with sky stream is 4K football and for now 4K drama like house of dragons which is ad free. 

This message was authored by Mikeskisandflie This message was authored by: Mikeskisandflie

WHAT ON EARTH? Price increase

HOW? WHY? I subscribed to Sky less than 3 weeks ago and just had a notification that my Broadband Bill will be increased by 3.50 per month, thats 10% increase in less than a month of subscribing to a minimum 18 month contract. Surely that cannot be legal?????

This message was authored by Unisoft This message was authored by: Unisoft

Sky multimroom going up LOL The fact they even charge for this....

Still, given them the boot.

Going back to VM Stream as its had loads of channels added recently most in HD and only £13.50 a month. If you dont pay that for the entertainment pack - you get the freeview channels plus a bit more for free without box taken away and the hardware runs faster than Stream and I don't get the daily annoyance of network not being connected because my router turns it off on a shedule every day at 1am (despite the standvy settings on Sky Stream). I also don't have a silly limit on 99 channels for favorites and unlimited (meaning I can renumber the channels and hide others I don't watch) and QVC channels are encoded properly on VM Stream not a simple 1080i50 to 1080p25 like Sky Stream has. Latter may sound trivial but the mother in law even noticed how bad the picture was when she comes round.

This message was authored by Marcos+Gilson This message was authored by: Marcos+Gilson

I am going to leave Sky stream too, I can do so for free, even though I am in contract - they confirmed today. 

I  am also going to virgin stream 

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

That's the beauty of the streaming world - there is plenty of healthy competition out there. 

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

Re: WHAT ON EARTH? Price increase

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Mikeskisandflie 

Sky are permitted to review (which normally amounts to an increase) the charges once a year. That normally happens in April for UK customers so I'm afraid you'll likely see another increase in April 2025. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

It's in the T&Cs, so you should have been aware when signing up (assuming you read them).

you can leave Sky broadband penalty free within 30 days of receiving the letter about the increase in price. However it is worth noting all the other broadband providers are also doing price rises, some at a higher percentage and they don't allow you to leave penalty free due to the annual price rise.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by Mikeskisandflie This message was authored by: Mikeskisandflie

I read the laymans T&Cs, an 18 month contract at a published price, as it can then  be increased.  But to increase it by actually 15% within a month of agreeing a price seems illegal to me.

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

@Mikeskisandflie wrote:

by actually 15% within a month of agreeing a price seems illegal to me.

Nope.

But you can leave penalty free and move to another provider than will lock in an above inflation rise without the right to leave.

There are always many posts at this time of year from new customers as the price rise is in April - it's no secret.  But at least you can leave - or have 60 day 'price protection' from the increase.

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
This message was authored by NR_KIWI This message was authored by: NR_KIWI

Re: Price hike April 2024

This issue with Sky's approach and the way it is reported is incorrect. Effectively, the price increase % by Sky is average of all their products at STANDARD price. First of all, not many probably take ALL their product services. Second of all, many probably don't pay the STANDARD prices for the services they have. Therefore, the price hike % reporting is not really relevant to individuals. What is more accurate is the £value added to the services, every customer is having the same £ value increase for each service, added to their bill.

Now this approach is different to other providers using the CPI + x.x% as this increase is applied to the cost of your individual bill, so every customer sees that % increase. If you have a bigger bill, bigger £value increase etc.

I am disappointed too, first time Sky customer since October 2023 and I am seeing 17.2% increase, but £ wise, is the same for everyone here who has the same services £2 sky Entertainment via Stream and £3.50 broadband. £5.50 total.

Overall, to some extent the price hike terminology and reporting by Sky is a little misleading. 

This message was authored by Ian+Court This message was authored by: Ian+Court

Customers seem happy to quote the terms and conditions... but seriously? Are you happy with being shafted with price increases when you don't know in advance how big they are going be, and you're stuck with them? This is the reason Ofcom are looking into it.

Yes, it's all laid out there in the terms. Yes, it's technically legal. And yes, all providers do it. That doesn't mean they should. Unfortunately, one did it, and the rest followed suit.

However, it's simply unfair, especially when considering that contracts tend to be longer than 12 months now, with 18 and even 24 month terms largely being the norm.

The fact is that communications providers should not offer contracts that are longer than the period for which they are willing to fix a price - guaranteed - with no price increases.

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

@Ian+Court wrote:

This is the reason Ofcom are looking into it.

Indeed, but currently it's not 'illegal'.

However, the law of unintended consequences will be such 'regulation' may actually drive prices upwards, especially for those that do understand how it works.

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
This message was authored by Rondld This message was authored by: Rondld

Broadband price rising

I Recently saved £3.50 on my broadband account for being a loyal customer 16 years. Now I have found out it's going up again !!! Where's the loyalty I'm unhappy withbl this &:will be looking elsewhere for more competitive prices. 

This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

Why are Sky allowed to increase prices during contract?

Surely that defeats the point of having a contract?

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

Re: Broadband price rising

@Rondld 

Prices are reviewed and therefore normally increased once a year (April in the UK). Other providers do the same. Once you receive your email or letter outlining your particular increases you can cancel Broadband penalty free within 30 days. You can't do that for a TV subscription.

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 50 minutes

New Discussion