Discussion topic: Price hike April 2024

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Re: Price hike April 2024

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@james987654 wrote:

My broadband and talk package will be going up from £35.75 to £43.00.  That's an increase of over 20%!

(Increase broken down: broadband: £3.50; boost: £1.50; evening & weekend calls: £2.25)

Pretty poor for a 6 month old contract!

You have a window to leave penalty free once you've been formally notified of the increase by Sky. The average Sky price increase to the list price is 6.9%, 

This message was authored by james987654 This message was authored by: james987654

I'm not sure I can cancel  just broadband if I'm an existing Sky Q customer as well though?  I'll wait until Sky formally notify me anyway.  

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

@james987654 wrote:

I'm not sure I can cancel  just broadband if I'm an existing Sky Q customer as well though?  I'll wait until Sky formally notify me anyway.  

Yes you can.  You can happily move to a different provider that will lock in an above inflation increase - but at least you can get 'new customer' rates to start with.

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
This message was authored by Buy1Get1Free This message was authored by: Buy1Get1Free

Re: April '24 Price Increases Broadband & Phone

I suspect they will magically reappear nearer the time...!

My broadband bill is showing a 14% rise from April which is a little shocking. It seems the price rise you will have to pay is applied on the full price of your package..... not calculated on the discounted price you may actually currently pay. This is certain to catch off guard many Sky customers who will be anticipating a much smaller price rise which reflects their discounted price!

This message was authored by Buy1Get1Free This message was authored by: Buy1Get1Free

Your price rise will be based on the cost of your full-price package ... not calculated as a percentage of what you actually pay as it ignores any discounts you may currently receive!

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@Buy1Get1Free wrote:

Your price rise will be based on the cost of your full-price package ... not calculated as a percentage of what you actually pay as it ignores any discounts you may currently receive!

That's correct. Everyone has different discounts, and some don't have any discount, hence the price increase is applied to the list price, which is the basis of all customers' subscription. The irony is, therefore, that the larger the discount you have, the higher the percentage increase in what you actually pay.

This message was authored by Stu202202 This message was authored by: Stu202202

I've been in contract since November 23 my increase is going up from £69 to £79 in April will I be able to cancell my contract or remove some things say movies that will increase from joining offer of £8 to £13 which I don't really need !! When will we be formally informed of price increase thanks appreciate a y feedback 👍🏻 

@Stu202202 wrote:

I've been in contract since November 23 my increase is going up from £69 to £79 in April will I be able to cancell my contract or remove some things say movies that will increase from joining offer of £8 to £13 which I don't really need !! When will we be formally informed of price increase thanks appreciate a y feedback 👍🏻 

No, you do not gain any cancellation rights for TV services due to the price increase (only broadband).

You can always give notice on subs that are 'out of contract' (I.e. not within a minimum term)

They can charge for cancelling premium channels too.  (You agreed to this in the contract)

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@Stu202202 wrote:

When will we be formally informed of price increase thanks appreciate a y feedback

@Stu202202 

As with previous years you should receive an email or letter in the coming weeks outlining your particular increases. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by cruy-ff-pne This message was authored by: cruy-ff-pne

Sky put out its 6.7% average price rise... They are misleading there customers and it's a disgrace.. I am a sky tv, broadband and talk customer and my bill is going up 14%....The sooner the better offcom or whoever, and I have read today, that the authorities are going after sky to stop this bad practice of moving agreed prices mid contact is stopped. An 18 month contract for a certain product at £x should stay at that price for its full term. After 25yrs I'm leaving sky, they are IMHO ripping loyal customers off. 

@cruy-ff-pne wrote:

I have read today, that the authorities are going after sky to stop this bad practice of moving agreed prices mid contact is stopped. 

I don't disagree but it will only result in the initial price being higher.  The only way to maintain a 'fair' price is to switch after every contract.

This message was authored by daveNOS This message was authored by: daveNOS

@cruy-ff-pne wrote:

Sky put out its 6.7% average price rise... They are misleading there customers and it's a disgrace.. I am a sky tv, broadband and talk customer and my bill is going up 14%....The sooner the better offcom or whoever, and I have read today, that the authorities are going after sky to stop this bad practice of moving agreed prices mid contact is stopped. An 18 month contract for a certain product at £x should stay at that price for its full term. After 25yrs I'm leaving sky, they are IMHO ripping loyal customers off. 

@cruy-ff-pne It's not misleading in anyway, if people don't understand that it states "average" then that's on them.

It would be nice if all providers stopped the mid contract rises but I just don't see it happening anytime soon if at all. 

-------- Please note i am not a Sky employee ----------
This message was authored by cruy-ff-pne This message was authored by: cruy-ff-pne

I dont believe that the average customer will  get +6.7%.....any TV AND BROADBAND customer will see a higher increase. Sky are misleading customers. As an example mines 14% up, what's yours fellow sky customers... 

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

@cruy-ff-pne wrote:

I dont believe that the average customer will  get +6.7%.....any TV AND BROADBAND customer will see a higher increase. Sky are misleading customers. As an example mines 14% up, what's yours fellow sky customers... 

The percentage price rise will depend on the packages you have and the current discounts you have. Different packs and services are increase by different percentages/amounts. The greater the discount on a pack you have, the greater the percentage rise will seem as the percentage increase is on the full list price.

For example lets say Sky Sports list price is £20/month, and Sky decide to increase it by £2 or 10% to £22. Now lets say you have a discount on Sky Sports so are getting it for £10/month. The price increase of the pack is £2/month, so your new price would be £12/month for Sky Sports which would be a 20% rise on that particular pack for yourself.

It should be noted OFCOM are doing a consultation around removing the percentage price increases and going to a fix price increase model set out at the start of the contract. OFCOM believe the extra transparency will be beneficial, which i'm sure it will but what it will lead to is the prices going up and the fixed amount prices rises will likely be higher than if they continue with this inflation based approach. What OFCOM really should be doing is banning mid-contract price rises but i'm sure there are reasons they don't want to do it this way. This leads them to comming up with their current proposal which may help consumers a bit in terms of transparency but we will all get burnt in the pocket, however OFCOM would advoid annoying the likes of Sky, Virgin, EE, TalkTalk etc which seems to be what they try and do, find comprimises that the big companies can live with.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

Thanks for your post, in difficult times people need to budget for everything, what offcom and others are saying is company's like sky are blowing a hole in people's budgets as they hike prices mid contact and make it near impossible to cancel as it's to expensive for most. Sky I belive will this time will get forced into change. I say again 6.7% is not a accurate/realistic figure as most people will see bigger increases. Sky are being economical with the truth and misleading customers. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 50 minutes

New Discussion