Discussion topic: Price hike April 2024

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

Re: Price hike April 2024

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@cruy-ff-pne wrote:

Thanks for your post, in difficult times people need to budget for everything, what offcom and others are saying is company's like sky are blowing a hole in people's budgets as they hike prices mid contact and make it near impossible to cancel as it's to expensive for most. Sky I belive will this time will get forced into change. I say again 6.7% is not a fair figure most people will see bigger increases. 

@cruy-ff-pne its not only Sky, ALL their competitors in the TV, Mobile and Broadband market are doing increases, and do it in the same way. In fact the Sky increases are slightly less than VM, EE, TalkTalk who do inflation + 3%.

The only fair way is to remove mid-contract price rises for TV, Broadband and Mobile but there is obviously a reason Ofcom haven't done that. I've always felt these regulators have never really wanted to annoy the big market operators in a big way so they make smallish changes that they claim will benefit consumers by increasing transparency but at the end of the day will hit us in the pockets.

Even removing mid contract prices rises would likely see most businesses just raise prices anyway, as just like everyone else they will suffer from inflation, and would need to pay the increase in their bills.

Anyone who thinks bills shouldn't go up i think just doesn't realy understand basic economics and how inflation works. Personally i think the company's should be allowed to increase bills but its maximum is at the rate of inflation, this would ensure the increased costs in delivery the provided service are catered for over the cost of the minimum term contract.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@cruy-ff-pne wrote:

I say again 6.7% is not a accurate/realistic figure as most people will see bigger increases. Sky are being economical with the truth and misleading customers. 

Sky are being entirely honest. It's the list price which the price increase is applied to. If you have no discounts, as is the case for many customers, the average % increase Sky quote is accurate. There's no way they can cater for the various discounts customers might have. It's only misleading if you don't consider how it has to work.

This message was authored by cruy-ff-pne This message was authored by: cruy-ff-pne

And there it is... "it's accurate if you have no discounts"

99.9% of sky customers will have discounts.. So 6.7% increase is misleading. 

If anyone gets 6.7% please post. 

This message was authored by earlam123 This message was authored by: earlam123

Re: Sky prices are going up again in April

I'm fed up of these price hikes. It's a contract for 2 years and prices should remain as when taken out 

Re: Sky prices are going up again in April

@earlam123 wrote:

I'm fed up of these price hikes. It's a contract for 2 years and prices should remain as when taken out 

That's not what the terms and conditions you agreed to say, I'm afraid.

This message was authored by StormWreck This message was authored by: StormWreck

Its not up to OFCOM to make companies happy... that isn't their job...

If it means higher prices upfront then Sky would need to work harder to get subs... Maybe stop over paying for sports few watch outside of Football... Their movies have fallen off in reason years.

They are over spending and charging us for it.

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

@StormWreck wrote:

Its not up to OFCOM to make companies happy... that isn't their job...

If it means higher prices upfront then Sky would need to work harder to get subs... Maybe stop over paying for sports few watch outside of Football... Their movies have fallen off in reason years.

They are over spending and charging us for it.

True but ultimately these industry regulators do just that. The reason for that is generally due to how politics works, with the legal powers provided by the government to the regulators, and all the political parties are fully paid for and supported finanicially by donors, who just happen to be incredibly rich and wealthy individuals, many of whom invovled in a lot of these big industries. They also can't do anything too radical too quickly, which could have a big determental affect on these big companies like Sky, VM, EE who employ thousands of people in the UK, potentially leading to them sheding lots of jobs as a result of any extreme pricing regulations that are brought in. This is the reason Ofcom do consultations that can for ever on proposal as they need to model the affect of what might happen based on different degress of enforcement they are looking to bring in.

I would expect OFCOM to likely bring this in, but if everyone thinks it will lower their TV, broadband or mobile costs I doubt it would and in all fairness likely see the annual rise being greater than what it is now on average.

The reason the Sky Sports subscription is expensive is purely due to the crazy costs they have to pay for the PL rights. Thats the rights that consume msot of the sports broadcasting rights budget compared to what Sky pay for other sports and the hours or content they get from those sports.

Also as mentioned earlier its not a Sky thing, its a thing that all broadband, TV and phone companies are doing.

NOT a Sky Employee

@cruy-ff-pne wrote:

And there it is... "it's accurate if you have no discounts"

99.9% of sky customers will have discounts.. So 6.7% increase is misleading. 

If anyone gets 6.7% please post. 

Well my April bill works out at a 6.4% increase.

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by cruy-ff-pne This message was authored by: cruy-ff-pne

Can I ask what package you have. 

@MarkGoldsmith wrote:

I would expect OFCOM to likely bring this in, but if everyone thinks it will lower their TV, broadband or mobile costs I doubt it would and in all fairness likely see the annual rise being greater than what it is now on average..

I doubt it too. It just means these companies will factor upfront into their list price the annual price rise they expect to need each year to cover inflation - and probably a bit of a margin too, in case their imflation predictions are a bit short. In other words we'll be paying a higher price for longer, rather than only after an annual price rise. A case of be careful what you wish for, maybe....

This message was authored by UrbanB This message was authored by: UrbanB

Re: Future Price Increase 2024

I've not received the letter of the price increase yet however I've logged into my Sky app. Gone into Bills and Payments -Broadband and Talk sub section -View Bill then click on the Future Bills tab I can see my Broadband package increase on the invoice that's issued on the 17th April.

I've spoken to Sky cancellations team who've confirmed there will be a price increase, and there would be no penalty for leaving as long as I did this in the 30 day window (from receiving the notice of the price change).  They said to wait for the notification letter / email that will be sent with my monthly invoice. Looking through my emails I'm never sent an monthly invoice. How has other people received their notice?

USwitch have confirmed  "Sky will actually let you leave your broadband contract early for free as a result of this price rise. You'll just have to do so within 30 days of when you received your confirmation of a price rise from the provider.

However, if you pay for Sky TV, it's sadly not that simple. While Sky broadband customers will be able to leave their contract early, you'll still have to pay early exit fees if you want to leave your TV contract."

I do have a TV Sky Ultimate Entertainment (with Netflix) with them, but cancellations team didn't mention any penaltys re cancelling this service with them. Does anyone know if U Switch are correct re the TV penalty?

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@UrbanB 

That's the same as previous years. Leaving penalty free only applies to Broadband/Talk subscriptions. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM

@UrbanB ...and if you're currently in contract for your TV package, Sky might not allow you to leave, either with or without penalty.

This message was authored by UrbanB This message was authored by: UrbanB

Thanks for the reply. Their cancellationteam said I counld cancel without penalty, maybe he was just reffering to the broadband part of it. He did also say "wow even with the price rise you're on an absolutely amazing deal!" ...Snake Oil salesman!! 🙂

This message was authored by Granny+scallywag This message was authored by: Granny+scallywag

Re: Sky signature price increase

The reply mentions that the increases are from April, but yet mine has increased this month, is anyone else seeing this

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 50 minutes

New Discussion