Discussion topic: Activating sky broadband on Ubiquiti network

This message was authored by Mac+attack+1982 This message was authored by: Mac+attack+1982

Activating sky broadband on Ubiquiti network

Hi

Our Sky broadband subscription is due to be activated on 21/03/23. I understand that we will need to install the Sky hub to activate the service, however, we have recently installed a Ubiquity network that utilises a UDR Dream Router and separate (basic) modem. It was set up with our current broadband provider (BT) and works great but I'm concerned about having to swap out the equipment, even temporarily, given my lack of IT skills. Simply put, is it possible to "activate" the subscription without actually plugging in the hub?

We both work from home and are keen to avoid any dramas!

Thanks

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Re: Activating sky broadband on Ubiquiti network

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Mac+attack+1982 

Yeah you dont need to use the Sky hub at the start or at anytime as long as your UDR supports DHCP Option 61 authentication. You'll to type the string: abc123@skydsl|abc123 into the box. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
Mac+attack+1982
Topic Author
This message was authored by Mac+attack+1982 This message was authored by: Mac+attack+1982

Thanks. I don't suppose you could walk me through how to do this, assuming I knew very little, which is in fact the case...?

I can access the UniFi OS but that's about it...

Many thanks in advance.

@Mac+attack+1982 

I am not familiar with the interface but the basis of it is you need to set the WAN type to Automatic IP or DHCP whichever option you have. Then further down in the WAN settings you need to find the DHCP Option box, set it to 61 and then fill it in with the string I gave you earlier. Below is the only image I can find relating to it

jzCy1dl.png

I am NOT a Sky Employee

@Mac+attack+1982 

This screenshot is better...

VLAN ID should be 101 not 10

IPv4 connection should be set to DHCPv4 not PPPoE

Then fill in the 'DHCP Client Options area' Option=61 Value=abc123@skydsl|abc123

Oh and enable 'DHCPv6'

WAN Settings.png

I am NOT a Sky Employee
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Mac+attack+1982 

Are you in Ireland?

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
Mac+attack+1982
Topic Author

Many thanks, this is great.

Mac+attack+1982
Topic Author

No, England.

Thanks

@Mac+attack+1982 

Okay setup should be as I said then. @cookiemonsteruk Only asked about Ireland as Sky Ireland uses a different authentication method.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
This message was authored by Secret_Trekkie This message was authored by: Secret_Trekkie

Hi Everyone, 

I upgraded to 900 meg Giga Fast (FTTP) and was really hoping to use my Ubiquiti Equipment and ditch my sky Router. 

I've looked at this thread and others and was hoping if you had any suggestions as it wont connect 😅

Thanks in advance 

I've used the following connection settings (screen shot also attached) 

Manual Mode

Screenshot 2024-02-12 at 17.16.58.png

This message was authored by WormAtWorldsEnd This message was authored by: WormAtWorldsEnd

@jamesn123  Hi - I'm in Ireland and just ordered the Dream Machine Special Edition......what should I do differently?

Thanks

This message was authored by Sam19022 This message was authored by: Sam19022

Hello everyone, I am having some trouble setting up my new Unifi Express router. I am not able to establish a connection and I am wondering if anyone can advise me on the type of modem I need. The setup is FTTC and I am currently using an old Openreach VDSL modem. Would this be compatible? Thank you for your help.

thanks

sam

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion