Discussion topic: Broadband

This message was authored by salma67 This message was authored by: salma67

Broadband

We have been with Sky for 25 years and never had luck with our broadband. We have been on ultrafast plus just so we could get a half decent speed. Contract ended and we hoped for a better deal to save money but none for existing customers. We were talked into gigafast. Our speeds are worse than ever. My mobile phone calls are breaking up. Tv is buffering and speeds on ookla are about 127. Not even anywhere near 900. Sky says we are getting gigafast so what do I do?  There are no devices on at the moment and we have a booster from Sky yet speeds are 127?.  We have tried unplugging the router and all other things and now we are going to be locked into a contract. Sky says they cannot tell me what speed is coming into the house, just that it is gigafast. Even my ring doorbell has a weak signal. I don't know how to prove that we are getting really bad speeds. 

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Re: Broadband

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@salma67 

Your never going to get gigafast like speeds using WiFi on a Sky hub, especially if you have a booster because they trade speed for range. 

If you want to check the true speed Sky are giving you then you need to connect a device via ethernet to your hub and run a test.

Also if some of your devices still struggle for a strong signal you may be best looking at getting a 3rd party mesh WiFi solution.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
salma67
Topic Author
This message was authored by salma67 This message was authored by: salma67

Thanks James for replying. Is there a link you are aware of that I can follow to do further tests using my laptop? I am so fed up at the moment and cannot understand how I am going to prove to Sky that I am getting pathetic speeds because they have done their tests and say I am getting good speeds (gigafast) coming into the house. I am actually getting worse speeds now than when I was on super fast plus.  Also are you saying that the booster which is on our landing is not beneficial? TIA.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@salma67 wrote:

Also are you saying that the booster which is on our landing is not beneficial?

As @jamesn123 indicates, a 'booster' typically extends range but reduces throughput.

It's perhaps worth noting that the vast majority of client devices don't 'need' more than 30Mbs (UHD video streaming)

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@salma67 

So connect your laptop to the router via ethernet, switch WiFi off on the laptop. Then go to https://speedtest.net and run a test. See what speed it comes out at.

Regarding your booster, this could be reducing your overall speed yes but if you need it for WiFi range then there is nothing you can really do about it. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion