Discussion topic: Emails from my gmail account get blocked when sending to @btinternet or @btopenworld addresses

This message was authored by CIderspace666 This message was authored by: CIderspace666

Emails from my gmail account get blocked when sending to @btinternet or @btopenworld addresses

Hi

For the last week or two, I've been unable to send emails from my @Gmail.com account to any @btinternet.com or @btopenworld.com address. The message back states - "554 Message rejected for policy reasons (2.1.2.3)" - this is from my Mac, iPad or iPhone.

How do I resolve this please?

Thank you

Best Answers
CIderspace666
Topic Author
This message was authored by CIderspace666 This message was authored by: CIderspace666 Answer

Re: Emails from my gmail account get blocked when sending to @btinternet or @btopenworld addresses

BT Postmaster has fixed the issue! 🙂 Impressed how quickly they did having read it can be a long wait. Phew!

Thanks all

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Emails from my gmail account get blocked when sending to @btinternet or @btopenworld addresses

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@CIderspace666 looks like the BT email service has your current public IP address on a block list which should only happen if somebody has been spamming the service. Like most ISPs Sky use non-static IP4 addresses so it doesnt have to have been you that was doing this but a previous user.

Using the forced disconnect option in the hub's web interface should grt you a different public IP address as should powering down the hub for an hour.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
CIderspace666
Topic Author
This message was authored by CIderspace666 This message was authored by: CIderspace666

Hi

Thank you so much for a speedy reply... I'll give this a go and report back.

Cheers!

CIderspace666
Topic Author

Router powered off for just over an hour while I was out. Powered back on and tried to email yet receive same delivery failure status. What do I do now please? 

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@CIderspace666 

Did you check to see if your public IP changed?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
CIderspace666
Topic Author

Doh, nope! 😉

I was expecting it to change following earlier advice of leaving the router off for an hour but I guess it needs longer? Or I try the forced method...

@CIderspace666 yup these days the IP address can be quite sticky which is normally a good thing but a pain when you hit the issue you have. The blocked list should clear in a few days as BT refressh their systems.

65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
CIderspace666
Topic Author

Mmm.. It's a bit hit and miss but what's odd is that I get the same message if I switch my phone to mobile, completely different IP and still it fails, exact same message. Surely this rules out the router/Sky so it's something else?

@CIderspace666 if the issue affects you on different networks it is not an IP address issue. Some how your email address is on a black list. As its a Gmail address you can try Goolgle's support forums.

CIderspace666
Topic Author

Yep, understood.. Reckon it will take some time to resolve...

CIderspace666
Topic Author

I've contacted BT Postmaster via another email address but lord knows how long that will take to clear...

Odd thing is, every now and again one of my gmail accounts will be able to respond to an email so not sure why that would happen... 

Anyways, until then, thanks all.

CIderspace666
Topic Author
This message was authored by CIderspace666 This message was authored by: CIderspace666 Answer

BT Postmaster has fixed the issue! 🙂 Impressed how quickly they did having read it can be a long wait. Phew!

Thanks all

@CIderspace666 glad it is sorted but I suggest you  run a full security test on any devices you use in case you have  malware using your emal to generate spam any decent security suite should be enough. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion