Discussion topic: I want to manage wifi connected devices, but the broadband buddy app has been discontinued

This message was authored by Stephenrock1000 This message was authored by: Stephenrock1000

I want to manage wifi connected devices, but the broadband buddy app has been discontinued

I want to manage wifi connected devices, but sky say the broadband buddy app cannot be used for new sign ups now. There appears to be no replacement. 

Does anyone know how I can manage devices now? 

Best Answers
This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty Answer

Re: I want to manage wifi connected devices, but the broadband buddy app has been discontinued

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Stephenrock1000 

Right now, you cant as Sky haven't released a replacement.

You could try a third party app, something like next DNS - it might be suitable for your needs until Sky do/if have a replacement for Buddy.

"Sometimes, the only choices you have are bad ones, but you still have to choose"

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty Answer

Re: I want to manage wifi connected devices, but the broadband buddy app has been discontinued

@Stephenrock1000 

Right now, you cant as Sky haven't released a replacement.

You could try a third party app, something like next DNS - it might be suitable for your needs until Sky do/if have a replacement for Buddy.

"Sometimes, the only choices you have are bad ones, but you still have to choose"
Stephenrock1000
Topic Author
This message was authored by Stephenrock1000 This message was authored by: Stephenrock1000

Yanks, I'll take a look at that. I have tried 'Fing', but you have to pay to be able to manage devices.

Thanks again,

Stephen

This message was authored by Prash546 This message was authored by: Prash546

It is ridiculous that Sky is the only mainstream broadband provider that do not provide this solution!

This message was authored by ZoeE79 This message was authored by: ZoeE79

Yes i agree, ive just rang up to be told its no longer available, not great as a parent of a child that has just been grromed online, the fact you can put age restrictions on is ok but the weirdos will still be able to get to our children what ever they are on it appears, so having that extra back up would be a big help, like time restrictions and things, cant understand why they have got rid of this to be honest its madness, and the fact we have to oay to try and keep our children safe is beyond me honestly, so what do we do now 🤷🏻‍♀️

This message was authored by S.p90 This message was authored by: S.p90

I 100% agree Zoe . My household age range varies and am trying to gain more control over solely my teens screen time ( we all know when we say lights out they will find there way back on to there devices whether it's a school night or not) the only way to prevent this is by confiscating all devices at bed time or shutting off/restricting the internet for everybody which is a nightmare for us parents. I purposely upgraded my broadband under false pretence sky buddy would be available to me only to be told it's been discontinued. My contract is still in cooling period so I may switch to an internet provider that has something similar sky buddy. But what a waste of time and hope ay? 

This message was authored by marsha101 This message was authored by: marsha101

Did anyone find suitable alternative to broadband buddy mine just stopped beginning of April.  Need an alternative, all help appreciated 

This message was authored by Brummy000 This message was authored by: Brummy000

There is an alternative and it's Circle Parental Controls App, there is a charge unfortunately and it has very good reviews. BT have their own built in parental controls if you have their broadband. I'll be switching to BT once my contract is over with sky!! I relied on the Sky Buddy app for bedtime, study time etc... like a lot of parents but I guess it's another way of cutting costs at sky?! But the charges seem to go up year on year! Not a very good way of retaining customers!! For this, they will definitely lose customers!!

This message was authored by L33DXN This message was authored by: L33DXN

Me too, not happy with prices going up and discontinuing this. It's the only way to control 3 kids bedtime and school revision times. Rewards were a great incentive for kids too. Saves all the arguments at home. Funny how they didn't say here's a refund on your broadband boost that we just made you take a contract on an extra £3 per month just to be able to setup buddy, I'll be looking at an alternative because I need this control over times and devices.

This message was authored by TD1969 This message was authored by: TD1969

Couldn't agree more, I am actively looking at alternate provider having been loyal to Sky since 2016 and despite ever increasing costs.  From my early research BT look like an option but I was surprised by how much I could save monthly by shopping around.   Just goes to show how bad a decision it was to drop Sky Buddy.... cut costs and loose customers...

Hi All, I have found a top replacement method for the lack or Sky Buddy

I was lucky that someone near me posyed a TP-Link WiFi for free collection.  Anyway I grabbed it and installed it.  It's really simple and has all the key app features as Sky Buddy had (filtering by age, time off limits etc). Super simple to use.

Here are the details-

Product is a TP-LINK DECO AC2200 (reset button)

Step 1. Connect to Sky Router with ethernet cable and plug power supply into the wall

Step 2  Download TP-Link Deco App for free, then open the app, it will search for the router, and once found will connect and ask several questions, such as email, name you want to call the WiFi, just follow the prompts. EASY.

Step 3. Get the kids to connect to this WiFi and as they connect you can assign their devices under their name.  Keep doing this for all kids or like me I set up different names to set different times and age restrictions. So similar to Sky Buddy you should not get it wrong.

That's it.. hope this post helps others and can restore balance in the home post Sky Buddy removal.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@TD1969 see my reply to you similar post in another thread.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by Vitrider This message was authored by: Vitrider

Hi, do you have a link for the device you got?

no able to post links, hut if you search TP-LINK DECO AC2200 m9

One is enough, there is a cheaper M5 model.  

A secondhand one will also be enough, I was lucky to get mine for free. 

Good luck

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion