Discussion topic: New Sky broadband. How to extend?

This message was authored by cirrusjock This message was authored by: cirrusjock

New Sky broadband. How to extend?

I just had my gigabit internet installed and it works great.

I have an office/workshop in my garage and a hard wired connection into there. Currently getting 950mb direct to the computer which is great.

I have some other wireless devices in there like 3D printers etc. and these are struggling a bit with the wifi from the house. I'd like to get some kind of wireless router that I can connect into the ethernet and run everything in the garage. I want it to be the same wifi as the house rather than a seperate login so I can move about from garage to house. Is this possible?

I have a TPLink wireless router thing not being used and also a couple of old Sky routers. Would I be able to reconfigure these somehow?

Any advice is much appreciated.

All Replies

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

Re: New Sky broadband. How to extend?

@cirrusjock 

The TP-Link router should be able to be placed in access point (AP) mode for wifi for that area. The additional Sky routers are of little use, as they cannot be configured in AP mode.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
cirrusjock
Topic Author
This message was authored by cirrusjock This message was authored by: cirrusjock

Thanks

I tried this and it creates a new wifi, using the TP link wifi name and password. I'm trying to find a way I can have the same sky wifi in the garage so I don't have 2 seperate wifi networks and can move seemlessly between the two.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@cirrusjock 

There should be settings to change the TPLink SSID and password to match those of the Sky Hub.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@cirrusjock 

Either do as @TimmyBGood suggested and change the SSID of that TP-Link router or you could purchase a Sky booster and plug that into your ethernet cable to achieve the same thing. Sky boosters will just copy the SSID & password and allow seamless roaming.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion