Discussion topic: New Wi-Fi Max router causing high latencey?

This message was authored by miless This message was authored by: miless

New Wi-Fi Max router causing high latencey?

I've recently got the newest router on offer from Sky (Sky Max Hub), 'upgrading' from the black one (Sky Broadband Hub). Me and the wife are gamers and are experiencing horrific lag when playing on this new white router. We both use a wired ethernet connection, so rule any Wi-Fi connection issues out. It's become unenjoyable to play anything recently.

We still have the old black router, so I did some testing. I ran multiple tests on both the white router and the old black one. Here are the results as follows.

Both tests done with Wi-Fi turned off and only my wired PC connection connected as to minimize anything else trying to connect and use the internet. Same cables used, the only thing changed is the router hardware itself. Changing the ADSL filter didn't change anything either.

(I did 6 speed tests on each. As to minimize image spam, I'm just using one from each. all other tests conducted on the same router are similar anyway.)

White Max Hub:

Screenshot 2023-12-31 234424.jpg

Black Broadband Hub:

Screenshot 2023-12-31 232205.jpg

Why is the latencey so high when using the newer white router?

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: New Wi-Fi Max router causing high latencey?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@miless your graphics have been rejected probably due to either showing your public IP addresses or mac address which are not a good idea on a public forum. Can you post the test results without any identification detail.

I have used both the SR203 - the black unit - and currently the SR213 - the new white Wifi Max hub - and have not had the same experience of increased latency but my connection is full fibre so bypasses the VDSL modem stage which presumably you are using as you mention a line filter. 

Not heard of this issue before but I agree it is strange..  It is impossible to escalate the issue to Sky until after the holiday. Unfortunately the switch from the SR203 to the SR213 is one way as even if you reject the Wifi Max bundle Sky will normally require return of the SR203 (it is how I have a SR213 without Wifi Max). I would suggest you report the issue to Sky tomorrow - pretty pointless today as there is only a skeleton phone service - to see what they say. Can you update this thread if they say anything useful which I will draw to Sky's attention as well.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion