Discussion topic: Sky Glass calibrated MEASURED settings

This message was authored by BigBri165 This message was authored by: BigBri165

Sky Glass calibrated MEASURED settings

In a past life I was a THX certified calibration tech. I retrieved my old kit from the loft and thought I would see what I could with my Glass 65".

I will post the settings later but if you want to use them please feel free but remember every set and room is different so they may not work for you.

Things I discovered in no particular order- 

It's not possible to set the contrast correctly due to limitations of the panel. Playing with the backlight/contrast settings made no difference. So I measured the light coming out for best measurement.

There are different settings for each picture mode. If you calibrate in HD, these settings will all be reset in HDR or Dolby Vision. This is a GOOD thing. I've yet to calibrate any HDR modes as yet. Will hopefully look at this later today.

The white balance and cms are surprisingly responsive. Changing them does make a difference.

Biggest issue I find is light bleeding into the black bars on a film in the scope aspect. Some of the worst I've seen to be honest and makes watching in darkness impossible. Some ambient light of to each side side hides it a little.

The readings will be posted later when I get home but they did improve the picture as I was getting a green tinge in the lighter colours. Adjusting the white balance with a metre had gotten shot of that.

Still have work to do on it and I don't want to post half cocked results so watch this space.

Best Answers
BigBri165
Topic Author
This message was authored by BigBri165 This message was authored by: BigBri165 Answer

Re: Sky Glass calibrated MEASURED settings

Measurements for HD/SD as follows:

Auto back-light off

Back-light 75-80. Adjust if you find the image to dark 

Aspect ratio auto

HDR/DV pic mode dark

Contrast 46

Sharpness 0

Brightness 51

Colour 55

Hue 50

White balance 

RG 12

GG 0

BG -6

RO 18

GO 0

BO -22

Local dimming on 

Colour management

Red 51, 61, 0

Green 56, 30, 1

Blue 53, 52, 1

The rest don't change so controls don't work properly.

Its not been remotely possible to get anything like a decent HDR/DV calibration because the screen just isn't good enough.

Anything below 30 and above 70ire have no effect so pointless.

I did find that upping the brightness to 51 revealed a little more shadow detail on my test pattern.

Software used - Chromapure plus

Metre - i1 Pro recently calibrated

Spears and Munsel reference discs for patterns on both.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

BigBri165
Topic Author
This message was authored by BigBri165 This message was authored by: BigBri165 Answer

Measurements for HD/SD as follows:

Auto back-light off

Back-light 75-80. Adjust if you find the image to dark 

Aspect ratio auto

HDR/DV pic mode dark

Contrast 46

Sharpness 0

Brightness 51

Colour 55

Hue 50

White balance 

RG 12

GG 0

BG -6

RO 18

GO 0

BO -22

Local dimming on 

Colour management

Red 51, 61, 0

Green 56, 30, 1

Blue 53, 52, 1

The rest don't change so controls don't work properly.

Its not been remotely possible to get anything like a decent HDR/DV calibration because the screen just isn't good enough.

Anything below 30 and above 70ire have no effect so pointless.

I did find that upping the brightness to 51 revealed a little more shadow detail on my test pattern.

Software used - Chromapure plus

Metre - i1 Pro recently calibrated

Spears and Munsel reference discs for patterns on both.

BigBri165
Topic Author
This message was authored by BigBri165 This message was authored by: BigBri165

1000010001.jpg

Corpse Bride HD via Apple TV 4K not upscale

1000010002.jpg

The Creator 4K Dolby Vision via Apple TV 4K

1000010004.jpg

1000010005.jpg

And 2 from the Dark City directors cut HD Blu-ray

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@BigBri165 wrote:

As I've been commenting since October 2021, it's really unfortunate timing that Glass was specified and manufactured in the depths of the pandemic and its associated global silicon component shortage: to be fair an unforeseen and unavoidable situation but one which wasn't helped when Sky and its design studio chose to use what was presumably a considerable percentage of the total BOM on the bespoke aluminium enclosure rather than increasing the spend on the panel and video chipset.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion