Discussion topic: Issues with Sky Q box reverting to wi-fi from wired and download speed

This message was authored by UHWIcedragon This message was authored by: UHWIcedragon

Issues with Sky Q box reverting to wi-fi from wired and download speed

I appear to have managed to connect both my main Sky Q box and a mini via ethernet. Main box via router mini via powerline. Have turned the Wi-fi off (both channels) on both boxes from the engineer menu. Originally from settings menu it showed connection was via sky  but it soon reverted to (displaying) the previous wi-fi adapter(on both boxes). I reconfirmed that wi-fi was off and removed a Sky booster that was previously in the chain (with no discernable effect).

All appears good at this point but I now have an issue with download speed. The Main box "liked"  to connect to wi-fi from a poweline adapter connected to the main router, when I had "forced" connection to main router it soon lost connection and reverted to powerline wi-fi, which has "mediocre" speed. 

Downloading now over (I assume) ethernet is equally as slow (2hrs to download Elvis in UHD), the connection to the router is full fibre and wi-fi speeds are at least  @300Mbps and via ethernet at least @ 700Mbps. 

Is there a "choke"on download speeds with either the Sky Q Box or Server? The TV it is connected to has no problem with wi-fi connection speeds for all the usual streaming channels.

All Replies

This message was authored by ftballman This message was authored by: ftballman

Re: Issues with Sky Q box reverting to wi-fi from wired and download speed

First off if you are a netflix subscriber, the get help / check network option can be a very handy way of running a speed check.

Have you checked that WiFi has stayed off on all devices. I know I read here previously where people said it renabled and I was sceptical - but I've seen it switch back on for no reason myself.

There have been comments that downloads from sky aren't the fastest but not that kind of slow.

Did you do the whole network reset process on the boxes when you changed the setup? I would ask too is the performance of the mini ok? And for further trouble shooting maybe try speed tests, downloads etc with the mini off just to try and pin point the issue.

UHWIcedragon
Topic Author
This message was authored by UHWIcedragon This message was authored by: UHWIcedragon

Hi ftballman, Yes I am Netflix subscriber but I usually access that thru TV direct, but I will have a look at it via apps on Sky Q, and thanks, I hadnt thought of that as a speedtest option.

Wi-fi is still off afaik but on previous attempts to reset and connect via ethernet it had reset itself. The mini struggled to work before without the booster, but it seems untroubled now with it out of the system which is one reason I believe that it has an ethernet connection.

Network reset was usually the point where the wi-fi re-enabled itself especially from the mini which wanted to connect via the wps button, however this last attempt I managed to get to it and change via engineer menu first.

Re with mini off does that mean disconnected or standy (off)?

Just for testing it would be interesting to have the mini powered off completely. There's a lot of trial and error to something like this. The mini not working is the more usual issue rather than the speed so it may take a few opinions to nail down what exactly is going on.

UHWIcedragon
Topic Author

So I've just speedtested the Netflix on Main box via app - States it's connecting via wireless?? speed is 24.48Mbps.

I did the same test with app on Smart tv that is connected via wireless and that shows 69.29Mbps and via my router management console it shows at the correct IP address and on the 2.4ghz network.

as far as I can tell from router management my Sky Q box is connected vie ethernet (correct ip address but mac address on Sky Q box shows ending in 30 router management 32.

Sky q box engineer settings network show both 2.4 and 5ghz off and 5ghz channel width as 0 Mhz / ch 0, it was previously set to 80mhz but when turned off has changed to 0.

Q Mini connects as soon as it's turned on, without booster before it wouldn't.

Wi-fi speed using mobile 330Mbps (probs 5ghz) if TV is connecting via wireless I guess it is 2.4Ghz from the main router, but the netflix speed on Sky Q app appears to be at the speed available from powerline wi-fi.

I haven't tried with mini disconnected.

By all of this I assume that wi-fi on Sky Q box is disabled, and that ethernet is the source, box says so, router console says so, but download speed says not????

Yes, from all that, it looks like everything is working as expected. I suppose another test is to try a different download. I'm very reluctant to suggest changing much if the mini is working well. Again, that's usually the trickiest part.

Just to check. You said you are using powerline. What way are they setup. I'm assuming main to powerline (1) and mini to (2). Which powerline is back to router?

UHWIcedragon
Topic Author

Main sky q box direct to router. Powerline adapter connected to router and feeds other powelines around the house. Sky mini is connected to powerline at other end of house, 50 feet from main sky q, booster used to be in middle, but not connected

now

I would have expected better speed then, if the main box is wired directly to router. I believe the sky network cards are limited to 100 and just general loss happens but I would expect much closer to 100 than around 25.

UHWIcedragon
Topic Author

Yes I agree, can the network cards settings be changed?

This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@UHWIcedragon wrote:

Yes I agree, can the network cards settings be changed?

@UHWIcedragon afraid not

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile
UHWIcedragon
Topic Author

The connections do appear stable, no dropouts as far as I can see on both main and mini, but download speed is still poor. Are there any other options available? I'm aware that my main sky q box is a bit elderly, would a newer replacement have "faster" network card?

Nope, I don't believe there is any difference on network cards on any variants of the q boxes. 100 or so should be more than enough for anything sky needs to do. The question is why aren't you getting closer to 100.

The fact your mini is working with the wired setup would seem to also suggest that the boxes,cables, router etc are all working well together.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion