Discussion topic: Sky Q Mini Box with new TV

This message was authored by aferns This message was authored by: aferns

Sky Q Mini Box with new TV

I have 3 Sky Q Boxes, all are hard wired to my router.  However I have just installed a new LG TV, how do I know if after connecting new TV to Sky Q mini box (bedrrom mini box) the Sky Q mini box is still connected directly to my router?  Is there a setting I can check to make sure mini box is still hard wired to my router and NOT using wi-fi?

All Replies

This message was authored by ThePope27 This message was authored by: ThePope27

Re: Sky Q Mini Box with new TV

As long as you haven't taken any cables out your Q box you'll be sound 

________________________________________________________________________________________
Sky Q 2TB v2 Box + 2 Mini Boxes - Brsk BetterNet1000 FTTP, WatchGuard M400 Firewall, Plume Mesh

Sky Signature + Ultimate TV Pack, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema, Sky Kids, TNT Sports, MUTV, LFCTV, Racing TV, Premier Sports, DAZN
This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@aferns wrote:

I have 3 Sky Q Boxes, all are hard wired to my router.  However I have just installed a new LG TV, how do I know if after connecting new TV to Sky Q mini box (bedrrom mini box) the Sky Q mini box is still connected directly to my router?  Is there a setting I can check to make sure mini box is still hard wired to my router and NOT using wi-fi?

Hi @aferns 

When all boxes are connected by Ethernet you can then switch off all Q box WiFi.  However if on Sky broadband and want the Q box WiFi hotspots for other devices then the WiNeeds to be on.  If this is the case then carry out the following procedure and do not do any WPS but omit the switching off of the WiFi.

If you haven't done this already see below

Start with main Q box and first carry out a Network reset with the Ethernet connected.
Network Reset found in Q box Home - Settings - Setup - Network.
Highlight Status and then select Reset on the right hand side. Select connect wired to non Sky Router (or Sky router if on Sky Broadband). Do not carry out any WPS and just wait for the box to connect. It may take a couple of minutes. If it does not connect there is an issue with the Ethernet connection.
As soon as it connects go into the Q box hidden menu and turn off WiFi.

To enter hidden menu press Home and navigate down to Settings but do not select Settings.
With Settings highlighted press 0 0 1 Select.
Go to Network to turn off both bands of WiFi. Confirm before exit.

Repeat the network reset on any minis in the Mini Home menu with the Ethernet connected. Again do not do any WPS and just wait for it to connect.
Once it is connected go into the mini hidden menu (same procedure as above) and turn off both bands of WiFi. Confirm before exit.

aferns
Topic Author
This message was authored by aferns This message was authored by: aferns

Thank you for your reply.  Firstly I do not have Sky broadband.  My broadband service is with BT.

Since all 3 Sky Q boxes are hard wired to my BT router, I just need to check since installing a new LG TV connected to a Sky Q mini box, wi-fi is still turned off?

I look forward to hearing from you.

This message was authored by ThePope27 This message was authored by: ThePope27

@aferns 

do this

To enter hidden menu press Home and navigate down to Settings but do not select Settings.
With Settings highlighted press 0 0 1 Select.
Go to Network to turn off both bands of WiFi. Confirm before exit.

________________________________________________________________________________________
Sky Q 2TB v2 Box + 2 Mini Boxes - Brsk BetterNet1000 FTTP, WatchGuard M400 Firewall, Plume Mesh

Sky Signature + Ultimate TV Pack, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema, Sky Kids, TNT Sports, MUTV, LFCTV, Racing TV, Premier Sports, DAZN

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion