Discussion topic: Sky Sports F1 coverage in upcoming races

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

Re: Sky Sports F1 coverage in upcoming races

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Les+Harrison wrote:

If this is really about net zero and flying etc... can't they just, with a little coordination, fly all presenters and crew on one flight together?

Then perhaps have them stay there and then fly to next venue all together as well?

Yeah I'm sure the response will be that they all, presenters and crew, don't just do F1 for Sky and have other duties... but with a bit of coordination of a skeleton crew going out there that could work maybe?

Can they manage with a skeleton crew? If Ted and Martin can manage their grid walks and notebooks with just them and a camera man I would hope so. 

It's a combination of both net zero and cost cutting.

There are reports from the F1 broadcasting media from the start of the season that the Sky F1 budget was effectively cut, so the per race cost was less than previous seasons. From reading the reports the only way to ensure they could have the same level of coverage at the majority of the races was to cut the costs of the flyaway races. These were likely chosen partly due to the distance but likely due to the fact that they are broadcasting earlier in the morning so viewing figures would typically be expected to be down for those races.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by LezJ This message was authored by: LezJ

Re: What am i paying for?

• @jgwilliams completely agree.  I'm thinking of ditching sky entirely, it's been pretty poor of late!
This message was authored by Fenix975 This message was authored by: Fenix975

Sky Sports F1 picture quality

I'm trying to work out whether the picture quality on Sky Sports F1 HD has changed recently (particularly for the last 3 weekends where some of the content is from a studio) or if it's due to picture settings on a new TV I've had recently. Both when in the studio on wide shots (showing the 3 presenters) and when drivers are being interviewed in the pen, definition in faces when it's not a close-up seems like it's blurred or smudged together. In the image attached (note that I've had to take a photo of my TV screen and I'm watching Sky+ HD recordings of the programmes) all the people in the background behind Lewis Hamilton have no definition to their faces.

Has anyone else experienced this - i.e. is it an issue with the cameras that Sky Sports are using for these shots, or is it something that I need to sort in the settings for my TV? Note that when I watch other channels it doesn't seem to be an issue.Sky Sports F1 20th April.jpg

This message was authored by RK123 This message was authored by: RK123

Its shocking! A total loss of atmosphere. Sky sports subscriptions are so expensive already but you dont mind if you get premium coverage but this is on a budget and it shows. Awful F1 coverage. Satelite delays. Zero carbon emmissions means zero excitement!  

This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf

@RK123 wrote:

Its shocking! A total loss of atmosphere. Sky sports subscriptions are so expensive already but you dont mind if you get premium coverage but this is on a budget and it shows. Awful F1 coverage. Satelite delays. Zero carbon emmissions means zero excitement!  

@RK123  your too late to the party normal service resumes from next week 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here
This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

@RK123 wrote:

Technically you aren't paying for premium coverage for F1, when subscribing to Sky Sports F1 you are paying for live coverage of every session for the season which is technically what they are delivering.

Also yes it is on a budget, every TV presentation has to be run on a budget. Unfortunately an ever extending F1 calendar doesn't mean the sky f1 budget increases. For Sky to have maintained the same per race budget for this longer season would have almost meant the annual price rises having to be even higher than they were this year.

Also as per @SKY1992bf 's comment you have missed the boat on this a bit, as the usual at track presentation is back for the rest of the season, the in-studio production was only for the 3 fly away races that air in the early hours of the morning (where live viewership is significantly lower than the other races).

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

Never to late to the party to call out where we are not getting value for money and they think they can get away with it. The feedback is the coverage dropped and Sky should take note. 

This message was authored by ChrisV69 This message was authored by: ChrisV69

Agreed, it is never too late to provide constructive opinion for a subscription based service and, to expect paying customers opinions to be considered. Especially given there were some views that studio transmit may become more regular, Netzero, budget, family balance, cost caps or whatever the term being banded. What is concerning (I'll get to the presentation) is that despite the public awareness of increased race venues, regardless of locale, there's talk about budget cuts...who's exactly? Did Sky not spend a relatively large amount of money on so called AI/VR floors, massive screens and seemingly out of control cameras, an upturned Skypad, an acre of studio space etc? They would still have production at the fly-aways for those present so we're talking an extra 2-3 presenters...hair and make-up then? For the guys too before anyone gets upset! I don't see the saving frankly for the team not being there, in expenses it's coppers. All that said, here in the UK, we have no option but to watch Sky's broadcast if we wan't LIVE, I have seen the F1 stream on VPN and it's excellent on depth, analysis, coverage in general but there's members of the Sky Team I like to watch, there's banter, interviews and no-one beats Martin's Grid. For that reason and others we pay our money, no choice if we wan't it and thus, Sky should listen to feedback because frankly it's been dire.

I will reiterate my point about transparency earlier in the thread as there was no pre season announcement about studio but they did make a dance about the fancy new tech to seduce us to remaining enthused.....where was that? Budget cut all you like for an extra 1 race per year, I don't buy it. So let's see how many presenters turn up for the remaining races shall we? There's no argument, agree or disagree, Sky have the monopoly here and it's disgusting to offer sub standard coverage with no apparent notice and, when we, the paying customer, expect the standard they themselves set over the years.

Why they had to go so big is beyond me, so throw the budget talk in the bin where it belongs please. Inconvenience is more likely, sure 3 fly-aways, pick presenters willing then? Presumably many like to watch all the races live so the build-up is integral, along with the coffee....would have been easier to inject some smaller tech, analysis, current experience driver input without throwing us between venues and killing any atmosphere. Left begging for "Lights out an away we go!". Please don't let it be so that Sky had all the off season to prepare that noncense? Think the presenters / pundits were uncomfortable with it too, maybe they caused it, who knows.

Budgets lol, they did all arrive at Silverstone '23 in a helicopter did they not?

Never though I'd say this but thank God for Nico, some fruity recent ex driver input, opinions and cheek taken from a bland and less experienced studio, more of that please. I have missed Martin's vocals but that was a good Team-up with Crofty and trackside banter IMO.

(removed)

Moderator note: Removed campaigning.

This message was authored by lettice This message was authored by: lettice

@RK123 wrote:

Never to late to the party to call out where we are not getting value for money and they think they can get away with it. The feedback is the coverage dropped and Sky should take note. 

Your best bet to air your concerns around this to the Sky Viewervrelations team.

Many of us here have done this and they have passed it onto the Sky F1 team.

Had replies thatthey have passed on to the F1 team and some further contact from the F1 team.

The next batch of races will be back to normal, but they may consider it at later races, so from a fan point of view, best would be to pass on your concerns.

Not come across any fan that enjoyed many of the aspects of the studio setup.

Send an email to the Sky Viewer relations team;
ViewerR@sky.uk

They do respond to emails with any updates for your queries or problems.

- - - - - - - -
Sky Community Superuser
Sky Stream (2 pucks), Sky Ultrafast + using Sky SR203 hub. Sky Protect kit tester.

Thanks Lettice. I'll do that. 

This message was authored by mr.tickle This message was authored by: mr.tickle

@MarkGoldsmith wrote:

Also yes it is on a budget, every TV presentation has to be run on a budget. Unfortunately an ever extending F1 calendar doesn't mean the sky f1 budget increases. For Sky to have maintained the same per race budget for this longer season would have almost meant the annual price rises having to be even higher than they were this year.

Also as per @SKY1992bf 's comment you have missed the boat on this a bit, as the usual at track presentation is back for the rest of the season, the in-studio production was only for the 3 fly away races that air in the early hours of the morning (where live viewership is significantly lower than the other races).

Also, the much-loved Danica Patrick should be back next weekend in Miami!

--
I do not have a sig other than this message. Sky+HD.
Enjoying HDR with 4k Blu-Ray, Amazon, YouTube and gaming since 2016.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion