Discussion topic: SKY Q HDR Quality + Box upgrade

This message was authored by Leepeugeot This message was authored by: Leepeugeot

SKY Q HDR Quality + Box upgrade

Afternoon 

I have a SKY Q box around 3 years old and have just upgraded to a new Phillips 908 (MLA Screen). 

I have 3 questions 

Why is the HDR picture so grainey?

Have Sky got a new Sky Q Box that is better than mine? 

Do they come out for free to re route my dish cable if requested? 

The TV i have is amazing but the picture quality from the box is not 

All Replies

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

Re: SKY Q HDR Quality + Box upgrade

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Leepeugeot wrote:

Without knowing the model number we can't say...  https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-software-updates

But if you have a HDR capable box then it's the 'latest'.

They are likely to charge for that.

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@Leepeugeot wrote:

Afternoon 

I have a SKY Q box around 3 years old and have just upgraded to a new Phillips 908 (MLA Screen). 

I have 3 questions 

Why is the HDR picture so grainey?

The TV i have is amazing but the picture quality from the box is not 

Your TV is using technology which is much newer than Sky Q. 

Sky Q's UHD HDR uses the HLG format which isn't the best. Sky content is usually more compressed than a lot of streamed content for example, and can therefore look a bit posterised/grainy.  

Don't use any of the apps on the Q box - you will get vastly superior UHD HDR quality from the TV's own apps which will give you Dolby Vision and HDR10+ where available. Sky Q's apps can output HDR10 at best. 

Leepeugeot
Topic Author
This message was authored by Leepeugeot This message was authored by: Leepeugeot

Would it be better if I had Sky Stream? Do you think they will bring out a new more uptodate box?

This message was authored by ThePope27 This message was authored by: ThePope27

@Leepeugeot,

I have used both Sky Q at my house and Sky stream at my moms house, and I can say that HDR looks so much crisper on stream than on Q,

________________________________________________________________________________________
Sky Q 2TB v2 Box + 2 Mini Boxes - Brsk BetterNet1000 FTTP, WatchGuard M400 Firewall, Plume Mesh

Sky Signature + Ultimate TV Pack, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema, Sky Kids, TNT Sports, MUTV, LFCTV, Racing TV, Premier Sports, DAZN
This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@Leepeugeot wrote:

Would it be better if I had Sky Stream? Do you think they will bring out a new more uptodate box?

Sky Stream does have newer and better video processing than Sky Q but has its own issues and limitations, particularly if you like the ability to record and fast forward/rewind easily. 
There will not be an updated Sky Q box in the future. It is obsolete tech, designed & released under the old Murdoch administration at Sky. 

This message was authored by simon194 This message was authored by: simon194

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Padam_Padam wrote:

@Leepeugeot wrote:

Sky Stream does have newer and better video processing than Sky Q but has its own issues and limitations, particularly if you like the ability to record and fast forward/rewind easily. 
There will not be an updated Sky Q box in the future. It is obsolete tech, designed & released under the old Murdoch administration at Sky. 

You also have to take into account that Sky most likely will not be renewing their satellite carriage agreement with SES in 2028.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion