Discussion topic: Sky dish on roof

This message was authored by MabelButlin This message was authored by: MabelButlin

Sky dish on roof

I was rung by a Sky employee telling me that I could get a free upgrade . I agreed to have the engineers. They duly arrived but much to our surprise they wanted to get on the roof to change the Sky dish. My OH refused permission for them to drill holes in our Grade 2 Listed building.   Now he's saying it was a con and the signal doesn't come from the dish anyway...

To say I'm confused is an understatement!   Why would Sky go tonthe trouble of sending two employees to our house is they didn't need to change the dish?   And what do other people do if they have listed buildings but Sky insist on drilling holes in the walls to ensure the safety of the employees?

Best Answers
This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1 Answer

Re: Sky dish on roof

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@MabelButlin If it was Sky Q you upgraded to then you do need a dish as all live channels broadcast over satellite.  I would love to know how your OH thinks you will get these channels without a dish on this particular type of box. 

If you have an existing dish that would only be changed if it was too old and had deteriorated, upgrading from Sky+ to Q in many cases may only needs the LNB (the bit on the dish the cables attach to) changing.

Only Sky stream is dish less and it sounds like this wasn't what you upgraded to as this does not need an installer as it would be self install.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1 Answer

@MabelButlin If it was Sky Q you upgraded to then you do need a dish as all live channels broadcast over satellite.  I would love to know how your OH thinks you will get these channels without a dish on this particular type of box. 

If you have an existing dish that would only be changed if it was too old and had deteriorated, upgrading from Sky+ to Q in many cases may only needs the LNB (the bit on the dish the cables attach to) changing.

Only Sky stream is dish less and it sounds like this wasn't what you upgraded to as this does not need an installer as it would be self install.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@MabelButlin wrote:

I was rung by a Sky employee telling me that I could get a free upgrade .

'Upgrade' from Sky+ HD to Sky Q?  Worth noting that despite what some information sources state, reception by Sky+ HD isn't ending.

I agreed to have the engineers. They duly arrived but much to our surprise they wanted to get on the roof to change the Sky dish.

It's typically a swap of the LNB on the dish, not the dish itself.  The standard LNB used by Sky+ cannot pass a signal to Sky Q.

1000001179.png

My OH refused permission for them to drill holes in our Grade 2 Listed building.   

Even for an LNB change, they need a ladder tether.  Without that they would be subject to potential disciplinary action if they proceeded with the job.

Now he's saying it was a con and the signal doesn't come from the dish anyway...

He's presumably thinking of Sky Glass/Stream (released in 2021), not Sky Q (from 2016 onwards)

To say I'm confused is an understatement!   Why would Sky go tonthe trouble of sending two employees to our house is they didn't need to change the dish?   And what do other people do if they have listed buildings but Sky insist on drilling holes in the walls to ensure the safety of the employees?

They either employ an independent installer or don't have Sky Q: access to satellite television isn't actually a human rights issue, and employer obligation regarding employee safety is rather more important than customer convenience.  Note that if employing a non-Sky installer it's still possible that Sky staff will refuse the installation as they are instructed to do so where a dish cannot be reached under their own safe-working protocols.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
MabelButlin
Topic Author
This message was authored by MabelButlin This message was authored by: MabelButlin

@TimmyBGood 

Thankyou for your detailed reply. I'm sure the message we got originally said whatever service we have now is stopping and consequently we can upgrade now at no additional cost.  You are telling me it is not stopping...  to say I'm confused is an understatement., but I'll be relieved if you are correct, thanks.  

By the way, I would not regard the use of a ladder with safety harness as a 'human rights issue', nor a 'right' if any sort. Personally I don't watch tv except the odd catchup on BBCiPlayer, however, him-indoors has it on day and night and frankly life wouldn't be worth living if he hadn't got his tv. My life or his!  Sometimes when people get alzheimersy they get irate about all sorts of things. Not having a tv is one of them.

The issue with the hole drilling is not down to me - it's illegal to damage the fabric of  a listed building without first obtaining permission. Getting permission can take months.  Doing it without permission could incur prosecution.   If I had been told originally that they were planning to get on the roof I should not have booked them to come.   I just thought they were going to change the box in the sitting room, so it was a surprise when two of them turned up!   After they went Him Indoors told me they were lying about having to change the dish...  I don't know when he's telling the truth or making things up. 

This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

@MabelButlin Rest assured, the message you will have received said that your Sky+HD box would no longer receive updates. This is actually nothing new as there haven't been any updates for a couple of years. So nothings changed.

As mentioned above, the dish itself doesn't need changing when switching to Sky Q, but the LNB on the dish does. So, I guess he was half right (and half wrong 🤣

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion